The Legal Senior Associate for Contract Review Unit will report and support and be supervised by the Senior Counsel for the Contract Review Unit in all legal aspects in connection with the Oversight Board’s review of government contracts pursuant to PROMESA, including Fiscal Plan and Budget compliance and assurance of “market competition” in the contracting process. “Market competition” review includes oversight of all legal aspects of the governmental procurement process, from RFP design and implementation by targeted governmental agencies to a thorough evaluation of proposals and monitoring of procurement process to final award terms and conditions by such targeted agencies emphasizing transparency. Maintain strong client-counseling skill and be capable of interacting with high-level Government representatives on sensitive, complex, and high-value procurement activities daily.
- Maintain current knowledge of changes in Legislation
- Identify the agencies with the largest contracting activity, and then select the types of contracts (consulting, construction, supply of goods, etc.)
- Perform legal research involving procurement issues in order to provide prompt legal counsel
- Advise agencies regarding parameters of procurement process from start to finish
- Participate and conduct procurement planning sessions with government departments or agencies to ensure understanding of processes, develop timelines and clarify roles and responsibilities.
- Familiarize oneself with governmental procurement process, including RFP’s, RFQ’s and RFI’s and monitor governmental procurement process to identify ways to improve the complete cycle process of procurement
- Duties include interaction/negotiation with regulators and other government officials.
- Communicate and support to plan the implementation of the contract review transformation project to the Oversight Board or any other Senior Official as requested
- Attend and lead as necessary meetings with stakeholders, agencies or any related party as required
- Identify categories of contracts for each agency/instrumentality of high risk
- Develop and prepare legal opinions and memoranda for Senior Officials as requested
- Apply effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues
- Provide legal counsel on procurement issues such as: government contract formation; contract administration; litigation, procurement fraud investigations and/or related litigation
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws
- Other tasks as requested by the Executive Director, Chief of Staff, General Counsel or Department Director
Daily contact with the Directors, Managers, and staff to achieve the objectives of PROMESA.
Frequent contact with consultants, government agencies, attorneys and other stakeholders as needed.
The position does not involve supervisory responsibility.
Requirements for the position
To successfully perform this position, an individual must be capable of performing each essential task in a satisfactory manner. The following requirements represent the required knowledge, skills and/or capacity. A reasonable accommodation may be made to allow individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school with up-to-date and current license to practice law
- Experienced in proposal development, negotiations, contract performance and dispute resolution in connection with Government
- Proven experience as a legal counsel in business environment
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of administrative law, corporate law and governmental practice and procedures
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong commitment to detail, successful prioritization and time management skills; works with a sense of urgency to meet deadlines
- Ability to present financial data using detailed reports and charts
- Persuasion, negotiation, judgment, research and analytical skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to analyze data and situations, independently develop, effectively present and propose, and successfully implement solutions and alternatives.
- Must have an analytical understanding of PROMESA
- Strong written and oral communication skills required
- Government experience is a plus +
- Ability to handle complex and confidential information with discretion
The physical demands described herein represent those to be fulfilled by an employee to successfully perform the essential tasks of this position. A reasonable accommodation may be reached to allow individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
While carrying out the tasks of this position, the employee is normally sitting, using its hands to hold or feel and grasp objects; the employee will often stand, walk, talk, and listen. Specific vision skills required for this job include close-up and color vision.
The features of the working environment described herein represent those found by the employee while performing the essential tasks of the job. A reasonable accommodation may be made to allow individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
While carrying out tasks in this job, the employee is not exposed to environmental conditions of work. Noise levels in the workplace are generally low.
Health, safety, and environmental requirements
The occupant of this position must strictly comply with all health, safety and environmental policies and procedures and must actively participate in related activities of the organization. The occupant of the position will also be trained in any specific procedures and regulations applicable to the position, if needed.
This description is based on a management evaluation made in accordance with the requirements and tasks of the position as of the date of preparation of the description. This description is a general guide for the employee, managers, and colleagues, and does not include an exhaustive list of all elements and details of the job. Management reserves the right to modify this description at any time or change the tasks and responsibilities on a temporary or open-ended basis to meet objectives, timetables and recruiting goals.